|
$10m. project for Ethiopian absorption By Tova
Lazaroff Jerusalem Post November 21, 2002
The
Ethiopian National Project, which has raised $10 million
for educational and employment assistance for Ethiopian
immigrants, was officially launched Thursday in Philadelphia
at the General Assembly of the United Jewish Communities
of North America.
According to its American chair, Arthur J. Naperstak,
the UJC raised $5 million and the Israeli government
gave an additional $5 million in matching funds.
The project was started two years ago, but was delayed
when violence broke out in Israel in September 2000,
Naperstak said. It is being run in collaboration with
the Jewish Agency and the Joint Distribution Committee.
Pilot projects will open this year in Beersheba, Hadera,
Rehovot, and Kiryat Gat, Naperstak said.
"It's becoming very apparent that, as third world
immigrants, the Ethiopians are falling further and further
behind other groups in Israel. There is a general recognition
that if nothing is done now, the problems will only
become more severe," said Naperstak.
Afula Mayor Yitzhak Meron said "the essence of
the national project is not to make the same mistake
that Israel made in the 1950s and 1960s regarding Jews
coming from North Africa and Asia." Shula Mola,
director of Israel Association for Ethiopian Jews said
that 66 percent of the 80,000 member Ethiopian community
in Israel was dependent on government welfare payments
and that 74%of the Ethiopian students were below the
national average in math, science, and language skills.
Avraham Neguise, director of the Ethiopian advocacy
group South Wing to Zion said, "We want our children
to be professors and lawyers. We want them to fill the
Israeli universities and colleges and not the Israeli
prisons."
He asked that all North American federations establish
a committee to work on Ethiopian projects.
Mike Rosenberg, the Jewish Agency's director general
for immigration and absorption, said he was disappointed
that so little money had been raised, noting that the
intent had been to create a $60 million fund for the
project.
But Naperstak said he would rather start with $10 million
and allow the project to grow slowly.
|